On 1 st March, 2021, the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) received a complaint alleging that Mbandira Community Technical College in Nkhotakota procured learning materials worth K3,500,000.00 instead of K10,000,000.00.
The ACB conducted investigations which established that Mike Maseya, Jomo Chifomboti Alinafe Wane and Edson Kaudzu, instructors at Mbandira Community Technical College procured learning materials worth K3, 500,000.00 and shared K6,500,000.00 among themselves.
On 5 th April 2022, the ACB arrested Mike Maseya, Jomo Chifomboti and Alinafe Wane. Edson Kaudzu was arrested on 6 th April, 2022. They were taken to Nkhotakota Magistrates where they were released on bail after satisfying the following conditions:
• Produced to the Court K80,000 cash each as bail bond
• Ordered to report at Nkhotakota Police Station once every fortnight
• Produced one surety each bonded at K50,000.00 cash
• Ordered to surrender travel documents to Police
• Ordered not to leave Nkhotakota without informing the Officer-in-Charge of Nkhotakota Police Station.
They are likely to be charged with misuse of public office, theft, money laundering and forgery contrary to Section 25B (1) as read with Section 34 of the Corrupt Practices Act, Section 271 of the Penal Code, Section 42 (1) (c) of the Financial Crimes Act and Section 353 (a) of the Penal Code, respectively. They will appear in Court on 10 th May, 2022 for commencement of trial.
EGRITA M. NDALA
PRINCIPAL PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FOR: DIRECTOR GENERAL