In September, 2016, the Anti-Corruption Bureau received a complaint alleging that
senior officers at Mangochi District Council had been abusing Local Development
Fund (LDF) funds by drawing hefty night allowances for trips which were never
The Anti- Corruption Bureau instituted investigations which established that the
District Commissioner for Mangochi District Council approved payment of K3, 706,
952. 00 to Patiencia Enterprise owned by Monica Mazowa Kagwira without
supporting documents such as IPC minutes awarding a contract to Patiencia
Enterprises before the said goods were delivered.
On 26th October, 2018, the Magistrates Court in Mangochi found the five suspects
with a case to answer as follows:
- Mr. Jack Ngulube, Former District Commissioner for Mangochi now in Mwanza
for neglect of duty contrary to Section 121 of the Penal Code
- Mr. Michael Khoko, District Procurement Officer for Mangochi District Council
for abuse of office contrary to Section 25B (1) of the Corrupt Practices Act.
- Mr. Arnold Chitenjere, Fisheries Assistant for Mangochi District Council for
dealing in contracts contrary 252 C (2) of the Corrupt Practices.
- Ms. Monica Mazowa Kagwira, Inspectorate Officer at Mangochi Fisheries on
the count of abuse of office and theft contrary to Section 25B (1) and 278 of
the Corrupt Practices and the Penal Code.
- Mr. Cyprian Kagwira was found with a case to answer on the count of giving
false information to Bureau officers contrary to Section 14(1) of the Corrupt
Practices Act. He told Bureau officers that he owned fish ponds along Shire
River near Mangochi Boma where he reared fish fingerings when the ponds
belonged to Mr. Paul Yekha.
- They will appear in Court on 4th December, 2018 for defense.